HISTORY & HERITAGE

Our History & Heritage

About Us - History & Heritage

Seven three-dimensional niches with displays featuring deep carved and flat etched crystal panels tell the story of St. Joseph Medical Center. From its founding in the 1860s to its vibrant present with an eye to the future, the story unfolds through archival materials, historical and contemporary images, and selective text. Phrases from the beloved Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi stretch from panel to panel, along with portions of the hospital's mission statement, linking the chronological displays.

The Heritage Wall graces the airy, curving corridor from the main entrance to the rotunda and Heart Institute, welcoming visitors and leading them to the heart and spirit of the Medical Center. With touching detail and reverence, this public artwork honors the legacy of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia. It serves as a permanent monument to the enduring commitment to loving service and compassionate care at the hospital.

A Tradition of Health Care Excellence

1864  Mrs. Catherine Eberhard donates three row houses on North Caroline Street to the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia to be used for the sick and infirm
1870 Act of Incorporation for Saint Joseph German Hospital is approved by the State of Maryland
1872  Hospital opens new facility at Caroline and Oliver Streets in Baltimore City
1873 St. Joseph Board of Trustees founded by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia
1900 Ladies' Auxiliary Board founded
1901 School of Nursing is established to meet nursing shortages
1941 St. Joseph is one of the only hospitals in Baltimore to have an iron lung, the life-saving treatment for respiratory polio
1956 First lay advisory board appointed Medical staff members join community leaders to preserve hospital operations until a new facility can be built
1957 St. Joseph is the first hospital in Maryland to have a structured cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) team
1965 St. Joseph Hospital moves to Towson
1968 Osler Drive Emergency Physician Associates (ODEPA) establishes the first 24/7 emergency physicians group in Maryland
St. Joseph opens the first short-term inpatient psychiatric unit in Maryland
1972 Critical Care Units established
Coronary Care Unit opens
1980  St. Joseph wins regulatory approval for a CAT scan
1981  St. Joseph Hospital, under the leadership of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, becomes part of Franciscan Health System
1982  St. Joseph is the only community-based hospital in Maryland licensed to perform open-heart surgery
1985  St. Joseph Hospital is one of the first hospitals on the East Coast to offer mothers the opportunity to labor, deliver and recover in a single, specially designed suite
1986  International Center for Skeletal Dysplasia opens
1994  St. Joseph is the first hospital in Maryland to develop a training program in minimally invasive (laparoscopic) surgical techniques for practicing physicians
1995  The Heart Institute is established
1996  Reflecting an increase in comprehensive clinical services, St. Joseph Hospital becomes St. Joseph Medical Center
St. Joseph becomes a part of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), a consortium of three Catholic health care systems and 10 congregations
2000  The Heart Institute performs the largest volume of heart procedures in Maryland, treating one in four open-heart surgery patients in the state
2001  Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) receives Level III+ designation, able to care for babies of any gestational age
2002  St. Joseph establishes the Village Wellness Project in Tanzania
2003  The Orthopaedic Institute dedicated
2004  The new Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Emergency Department opens
2006  The Breast Center opens
2007  The Cancer Institute opens
2010  St. Joseph Medical Center is a designated Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery and Knee and Hip Replacement by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
St. Joseph's Breast Center Accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
2011  St. Joseph Medical Center was awarded a designation of Cardiac Interventional Center by the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems (MIEMSS).
2012  Joined the University of Maryland Medical System and became University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center.
Hospital Information 

Hospital Information

St. Joseph Medical Center
7601 Osler Drive
Towson, MD 21204
Main number: 410-337-1000
Doctor’s Directory: 410-337-1337