Financial Assistance for Those Unable to Pay the Full Cost of Care
If you are unable to pay for all or part of the care you receive from our hospital, you may be eligible for free or discounted services. Please read the information below to understand:
- How eligibility for financial assistance is determined
- How to apply for financial assistance.
Please click here to read UM SJMC Fact sheet.
Please click here to read UM SJMC Fact sheet in Spanish.
PLEASE NOTE: Any patient seeking emergency care will be treated without regard to ability to pay.
How eligibility for financial assistance is determined:
To determine your eligibility for financial assistance, we consider:
The medical necessity of services received. In short, medically necessary services save your life, make you well, or prevent a medical condition from becoming worse.
Medical necessity will be determined by a physician. In determining medical necessity, we follow all requirements of the federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act and applicable laws and regulations.
Your ability to pay for the services. We look at income, family size, available resources and expected future income (minus living expenses).
You may qualify for 100% of your care provided for free, or a discounted charge under one or both of these criteria:
Your family income is low. Free care may be available to patients with family income less than or equal to 130 percent of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)very low income guidelines for the area; and/or
You are considered medically indigent. This means that paying the full cost of your medical care, after any health insurance payment, would cause you to become impoverished. This could apply if you are uninsured, underinsured, or suffer a catastrophic illness.
How to apply for financial assistance
When you are registered as a patient, we will ask about your coverage for health care services. If you don’t have coverage or it is not likely to be sufficient, we will either give you a packet of information that covers our financial assistance policy or offer the immediate assistance of a financial counselor, who will go over the financial assistance application with you.
You will need to complete the online Financial Assistance Application form or download a PDF of the forms, provide all information it requests, and submit it to us.
If it is determined you are eligible for assistance, we will notify you and let you know how much assistance is available. If it is determined you are not eligible for assistance, we will let you know that in writing and give a brief explanation of the reason.
It’s important to note that if you do not have insurance, you will not be charged more for services than the amount generally billed to those who have insurance. Questions?
Please click here to read UM SJMC Fact Sheet (Spanish Version).
If you have any questions about qualifying or applying for financial assistance, please call the Financial Assistance Office, 410.337.3902.
- If you meet the policy criteria you may receive financial assistance from the hospital.
- If you believe you have wrongly been referred to a collection agency, you have the right to contact the hospital to request assistance.
- You may be eligible for Maryland Medical Assistance. This is a joint state and Federal program that pays the full cost of health coverage for low-income individuals who meet certain criteria.
- Those able to pay their bill, will do so in a timely manner.
- It is your responsibility to provide correct insurance information.
- If you do not have health coverage or cannot afford to pay the bill in full, you should contact the business office promptly, to discuss payment.
- You must provide accurate and complete financial information. If your financial position changes, you have an obligation to promptly contact the business office.
Physician services provided during your stay will be billed separately and are not included on your hospital billing statement.